Running Route Mapping Tools
The NVRC Running Route Maps pages have quite a few nice local routes all traced out on topographic maps. These maps come with annotation, calculated distances and elevation profiles, and route alternatives. The maps were generated using DeLorme 3-D Topo Quads 2.0, and augmented using Microsoft PowerPoint drawing tools. Mapmeister Marty Mazur adds several new routes a year to the growing library, and has backlogged requests for more routes.
Rather than waiting for Marty to put your route on the Running Route Maps pages, you can make a nice first cut of your own map. Thanks to the efforts of various people to exploit the mapping and satellite imagery available in Yahoo and Google data bases, there are several online mapping tools, linked below, that can be useful to runners who want to plan a route or calculate the mileage they've run. Each of the tools below has its own advantages and disadvantages. The tools use theYahoo and Google map service, which gives you access to street maps, a satellite's eye view, or a hybrid of the two (major roads superimposed on the satellite pictures). Both Yahoo and Google make very high resolution satellite imagery available in the big metropolitan areas, but only the Yahoo map data base has the high resolution satellite views for the State College Area. The tools calculate mileage, and two of them have calorie counter capabilities. The street maps are more up-to-date than those in the DeLorme software, but only the Gmaps site can show topographic maps. These tools are generally not as accurate as DeLorme 3-D Topo Quads, and the output product not as refined. The main advantage of the tools is that they're free and easy to use. Try them all!
- Runningmap.com - Advantages: Uses a Yahoo Map data base with much higher satellite image resolution than all the other mapping tools below. Good interface. Very accurate mileage. Can annotate maps. Can save maps to a "permalink". Disadvantages: Can edit maps once they are saved but this creates a new "permalink". Cannot add points between points that are already laid down except by deleting points from the end all the way back to the point you want to insert. No topo map or calorie counter.
- MapMyRun.com - Advantages: Clean interface. Easier to use than the Gmaps Pedometer. Remembers the last place you started from when you revisit the site. Can upload route from GPS unit. Has calorie counter. Disadvantages: Need to register to activate some capabilities. No elevation profile capability yet. No topo map. Relatively low resolution satellite imagery in State College Area.
- Gmaps Pedometer - Advantages: Topo map and elevation profile available. No registration required to print map. Can download map to GPX data format. Disadvantages: Buggier interface than MapMyRun.com (satellite and hybrid options sometimes don't appear until you click some other unrelated menu options). Forgets your past visits to site. Relatively low resolution satellite imagery in State College Area.
- USATF Running Map Data Base - Advantages: Huge data base of running routes available all over America. You can map your own routes and add to the data base. Readers can critique routes. Disadvantages: No elevation profile, topo map, or calorie counter capabilities.
Thanks to Greg Fredericks, John Sheakoski, and Morgan Wasikonis for the tips regarding these valuable online tools.
State College Maps
|Arts Festival "Official" 5K Course||5K|
|Arts Festival "Official" 10K Course||10K|
|Arts Festival "Official" 10 Miler Course||10 Miles|
|Bernel Road Park||Various|
|Campus Loop 5K
||5 kilometers USATF Certified!|
|Campus Loop 10K||10 kilometers USATF Certified!|
|"Fast" Campus 5K Course
|First Night 5K||5 kilometers **|
|Four Hills Loop
|Game Lands Trail Map
|Knights of Columbus 5K (An NVRC 'legacy' race)||5 kilometers|
|Nittany Valley Half-Marathon (Old course - pre-2017)
|Nittany Valley Half-Marathon (New Course)||13.1 Miles|
|Spring Creek Canyon||5M, 10M|
|Spring Creek Park||1-6M, 3M, 6M|
|State College H.S. X-C course
||5 kilometers *|
|Tudek Park Map
* Thanks to Jerry Steffy and Greg Fredericks
** Thanks to Dave Eggler
|Boalsburg Memorial Day Run||
|Crack O' Dawn 5K Run/Walk||5 K|
|Pa Military Museum||Various|
|St. Joseph's Catholic Academy Cross-Country Course||5K|
Rothrock State Forest Maps
This page contains descriptions of some of the Rothrock State Forest running routes.
|Nick's Bear Meadows Mountain Runs
||7.0 - 10.6 miles|
|Tussey mOUnTaiNBACK 50 Mile Relay||50 miles USATF Certified! Includes individual leg maps and elevation profiles!|
|Tussey mOUnTaiNBACK - Rosie Ruiz Version
The following routes start from Colyer Lake. Parking is in the boat launch parking lot off of Lake Rd. to the south east of the lake is temporarily in a gravel parking area to the east while the lake/dam is under construction.
|A short rolling run through farm land near Colyer.|
|A short rolling run through farm land near Colyer.|
|This long run includes the Dogtown loop as well as an extended loop on the old Tussey Mountainback course on Crowfield Rd.|
|A longer version of the Dogtown loop that also crosses over 322 to Airport Rd.|
|A long loop on the old Tussey Mountainback course with an an additional out and back to Penn Roosevelt park.|
Maps - Spring Creek Canyon
The following routes are on and near Spring Creek Canyon Trail which follows Spring Creek between Shilo Rd near Nittany Mall and Fisherman's Paradise in Bellefonte. Parking is in the lot at the end of Shilo Rd. Take the Shilo Rd. exit towards the Fish Hatchery (N.W.), go over the single lane bridge onto the gravel Rd. and park in the large lot at the end of the road.
|6.2M / 10K||
A 6.2M out and back to Fisherman's Paradise. There's a porta-pottie and the Fisherman's Paradis turn around.
|10M||A longer out and back along the trail with an additional loop past Fisherman's Paradise to bring the distance up to 10M.|