Covid-19 Announcement: All Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts activities, including the 45th running of the Sue Crowe Memorial NVRC Arts Festival 5K and 10K Races and Kids Races, have been cancelled. The NVRC is planning an announcement about a virtual race..
The Arts Festival Races are the oldest races in Central Pennsylvania. The event was first run in 1976 as a 10 Mile race that started out of town and ended on campus in the midst of Arts Festival tables and booths; the run was shortened to a 10K race in the late 1980's. Over the years the course has gone through numerous changes, adding a 10K, a 5K, and Kids Races and sometimes still offering the 10 Miler. In 2019, there will be 5K and 10K races that will be run from the Ag Arena and will have a more rural setting in Penn State agricultural land and wooded bike trails near campus. In 2006, the Arts Festival races were renamed in honor of Sue Crowe, who died in February 2006. Sue was a local running legend who also gave back to the running community through her work coaching young competitors. Sue was a fixture at the Arts Festival races. Sue and her family competed in most of them, and Sue herself was a five time winner. Sue won three times in the early days while the race was a 10-miler and two times after it became a 10K race. The Arts Festival races are run in conjunction with the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts, the region’s premier summer outdoor festival which draws over 125,000 people to downtown State College and the University Park campus. The Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts is five full days of fun, including the nationally recognized Sidewalk Sale Exhibition, a gallery exhibition, Children & Youth Day, the Downtown State College Italian Street Painting Festival, music, dance, and vaudeville performances at eight different outdoor and indoor different venues.
- 5K and 10K Race information: The Sue Crowe Memorial 44th Annual Arts Festival 5K and 10K Races were held on July 14, 2019. 5K results are here. 10K results are here. Kids Races results are here.
- Race Registration: Registration information for the 2021 races will appear closer to race day.
- Packet Pick-up: Packet pick-up will be from 12 noon to 5 PM on Saturday, 7/12 at the Central Pennsylvania Convention & Visitor's Bureau on Porter Avenue across Porter from Beaver Stadium and across Park Avenue from the Ag Arena; and on race day morning at the Ag Arena starting at 7 AM.
- Kids Races: The Kids Races will be run on the dirt roads behind the Ag Arena. There will be two distances to choose from, one about a quarter mile or so, the other twice that. Races start at about 10 AM. Participation is free!
- Courses: In 2019, the Arts Fest debuted a new 5K and a new 10K course. The races have a more rural setting in Penn State agricultural land and wooded bike trails near campus. Race headquarters are at the Ag Arena on the Penn State campus. Both races start and end on Pasture Way, a gravel road behind the Ag Arena.
- 5K Course Map. Description: The race starts just about 30 yards west of Orchard Rd on Pasture Way, a gravel road that intersects Orchard. Proceed west on the Pasture Way to Ag Services Road, then north to Orchard Road. Turn east on Orchard Road and continue to Wiley Rd. Go north on Wiley, then east on Pastureview. Next, turn north on Farm Services Rd. Proceed through a tunnel under the Mt Nittany Expressway, then east on the Research Park Bike Path to a turnaround in front of Building 310 on the Penn Stater campus, then west on the alternate Innovation Park Bike Path, retracing the route under the Mt Nittany Expressway. Upon reaching Pastureview Road, turn left and proceed east on Pastureview Road to Farm Ten Rd, then turn south and proceed to Orchard Rd. Go south on Orchard Road to Pasture Way and turn west on that road to the finish.
- 10K Course Map. Description: The race starts at RV Aisle A about 0.1 miles west of Orchard Rd on Pasture Way, a gravel road that intersects Orchard. Proceed east on Pasture Way to Orchard Rd, then turn north on Orchard Road. Turn east on Farm Ten Road, then immediately north as Farm Ten Rd heads north. Continue on Farm Ten Rd to Pasture View Rd and turn west. Follow Pasture View to Wiley Land and turn south on Wiley to its intersection with Orchard Rd. Turn west on Orchard and follow it to its intersection with Fox Hollow Road (a state highway). Turn north on Fox Hollow, staying in the right-hand (east) bike lane and therefore not crossing Fox Hollow. Upon reaching Big Hollow Road, cross Fox Hollow and proceed west on Big Hollow. The crossing will be monitored by State College Police. Take Big Hollow Road to Alpha Lane, then turn west on Rocky Top Lane and then join the Bellefonte Central Rail Trail. Follow the Rail Trail north just over 3/4-mile to the turnaround, which is at the end of the nicely paved part of the trail. Turn around and follow the course back to Fox Hollow. Fox Hollow will again be crossed at Big Hollow. The uphill climb on Fox Hollow to Orchard Road will be in the left-hand (east) bike lane. Upon reaching Orchard Road, continue to retrace the starting part of the race: Take Orchard to Wiley Ln, turning north on Wiley. Then turn east on Pasture View Rd. Follow Pasture View to Farm Ten Ln, turning south there. Continue of Farm Ten to Orchard Rd, turning south on Orchard. Turn west on Pasture Way and continue for a short distance to the finish.
Brown and Associates, Inc
(The NVRC would like to collect results and memories from the entire history of
the Arts Fest Race. If you have results from past races, or pictures you'd like to share,
10 Miler Results - Here is a list of Men's and Women's winners for the years 1976-1985 when the Art's Festival race was a 10-Miler. For more reminiscences, see A Race Steeped In Lore... from the July-August 2003 Voices of Central Pennsylvania. The 10 Miler was back from 2013 through 2017 and results for that 10 Miler are also below.
Full results from the earliest races are being collected. Some newspaper stories with partial results are given at the bottom of the page.
Arts Festival 10 Mile Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 10K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 5K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Kids Race Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Race Reports From Some Previous Years: