NVRC 2018 Winter Blood Drive Is Successful
- Written by Mike Casper Mike Casper
A hearty thanks to everyone who came out to donate, invited someone to donate, or helped someone get to the Nittany Valley Running Club’s Winter Blood Drive. The NVRC’s reason for hosting blood drives is to encourage healthy, able donors to come out because in some areas of the country, it hasn’t been possible. Thanks to you, we were able to help the American Red Cross in several key ways.
- January is National Blood Donor Month, the perfect time to resolve to give more life by being a blood donor.
- Winter weather and illness can make it difficult for the American Red Cross to maintain a sufficient blood supply at this time of year. Healthy, eligible donors are urged to give at this time.
- Severe winter weather has had a tremendous impact on blood donations already this year, with more than 200 blood drives forced to cancel, causing more than 6,500 blood and platelet donations to go uncollected.
- Donors in areas unaffected by the weather may be helping patients close to home or patients in areas where donors are unable to give because of inclement weather.
With your generosity, we collected 17 units at this drive. That translates to saving up to 51 lives – which is no small accomplishment!
Our presenting donors were treated to fresh Pizza Mia pizza, treats, movies (including the comedy “Run Fat Boy Run”) and camaraderie. Whether you were able or unable to participate in this drive, we encourage you to take a moment to put the NVRC’s Fall 2018 Blood Drive, set for Thursday, Sept. 13, on your calendar.
The presenting blood donors, volunteers, and those whose lives may be saved by those donations were the winners. Drawing prizes went to:
Nick Pagano – Beidleheimer Sidewinder 10K entry (May 5)
Grace Collins – Crack O’ Dawn 5K Run/Walk & Pancake Breakfast entry (June 16)
Emily Knell – Nittany Valley Arts Festival Races (5K-10K-10M) entry (July 15)
Jim Sellmer – Allegheny Front Trail Run (50K or 13.1M) entry (June 2)
When can you give? As often as every 56 days: If you didn’t donate on 1/18, we encourage you to donate soon at a drive that’s convenient for you. We hope to see you at the Sept. 13 NVRC drive.
Thanks for supporting the American Red Cross and the NVRC!