The NVRC Nittany Valley Half-Marathon and Historical Information for the Nittany Valley Marathon
"You have redefined the meaning of 'somewhat challeging'." ---Jerry Heinz
"It's a very tough course, especially after about mile 7. The last mile is designed to make you see God." ---Marty Mazur
"I was looking for God during the last mile, but I didn't see him. I guess he finished ahead of me too."
--- Albert Mabus, last male finisher at the 2001 NVHM
The 34th Annual Nittany Valley Half-Marathon will be held on Sunday, December 3, 2017. Start time is 10:00 AM. Race day packet pickup starts at 8 AM at race headquarters, which is inside the Snider Ag Arena. The course has been newly redesigned for this year's race, with less looping behind the Ag Arena at the start, and a somewhat longer excursion through Houserville. But all your favorite hills are still there, including the "spiral of death" at the end of the race!
Registration: $45. NVRC members take $2 off registration fee. Add $10 for optional finisher's medal.
NVHM Adds Relay For Runners 19 and Under: For the first time in 34 years, the Nittany Valley Half Marathon has created a new category for runners, a two-person relay team for 19 and under only. The relay team will only be open to this select age group and has a modest price of $50 per team, which includes a bit more swag for finishers.
Register Online: http://www.imathlete.com/events/EventOverview.aspx?fEID=65741
Here's the Facebook Event page for the Half.
We need volunteers! Sign up here!
Join our Facebook Discussion Group!
Follow us on Twitter (@nvhalfmarathon) as we count down the days!
Nittany Valley Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
|1978 (Results)||1978 (CDT Story)|
Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
- Course Map with elevation profile.
- Men's Event Record: 1984, Bill Reifsnyder, 1:07:07
Men's Course Record for the recent course (through 2016): 2014, Daniel Craighead, 1:10:53
Women's Event and Course Record for the recent course (through 2016): 2011, Rebecca Donaghue, 1:17:25
- A back-of-the-envelope Half-Marathon training program.
- Race Day Helpful Hints For Middle-of-the Pack Half-Marathoners.
- NVHM T-Shirts Through The Years New!
- Time vs. Age Plots from the 1993-1997 Races A few years ago, Dave Boger compiled all of the times, genders, and ages that he had from the 1993-1997 races and graphed them. The graph shows all of the data, along with a least-squares-generated second-order polynomial fit, representing time averages for each gender by age. Granted, there's quite a bit of scatter, but Dave thought the result was interesting anyway.
- Runner's Gazette story on the 'unseasonably cold' 2000 Nittany Valley Half-Marathon (by Morgan Wasikons).
- The weather for the Half can be anything from summer-like (1998) to brutally hibernal. See the Winners Summary page for a complete weather history. Troy Klinger, won the 1992 race in 1:16:28, and may at times have thought he was the only person on the course due to white-out conditions. He offers this recollection:
The Nittany Valley Half-Marathon pages were developed by Dave Boger during his tenure as Race Director for the Half. We're happy to carry forward his fine web page design.