The NVRC Nittany Valley Half-Marathon and Historical Information for the Nittany Valley Marathon
"You have redefined the meaning of 'somewhat challeging'." ---Jerry Heinz
"It's a very tough course, especially after about mile 7. The last mile is designed to make you see God." ---Marty Mazur
"I was looking for God during the last mile, but I didn't see him. I guess he finished ahead of me too."
--- Albert Mabus, last male finisher at the 2001 NVHM
The 35th Annual Nittany Valley Half-Marathon will be held on Sunday, December 2, 2018. Start time is 10:00 AM. Race day packet pickup starts at 8 AM at race headquarters, which is inside the Snider Ag Arena. The course has been newly redesigned for this year's race, with less looping behind the Ag Arena at the start, and a somewhat longer excursion through Houserville. But all your favorite hills are still there, including the "spiral of death" at the end of the race!
Registration information coming soon.
Here's the Facebook Event page for the Half.
We need volunteers! Sign up here!
Join our Facebook Discussion Group!
Follow us on Twitter (@nvhalfmarathon) as we count down the days!
Nittany Valley Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
|1978 (Results)||1978 (CDT Story)|
Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
- Course Map with elevation profile.
- Men's Event Record: 1984, Bill Reifsnyder, 1:07:07
Men's Course Record for the recent course (through 2016): 2014, Daniel Craighead, 1:10:53
Women's Event and Course Record for the recent course (through 2016): 2011, Rebecca Donaghue, 1:17:25
- A back-of-the-envelope Half-Marathon training program.
- Race Day Helpful Hints For Middle-of-the Pack Half-Marathoners.
- NVHM T-Shirts Through The Years New!
- Time vs. Age Plots from the 1993-1997 Races A few years ago, Dave Boger compiled all of the times, genders, and ages that he had from the 1993-1997 races and graphed them. The graph shows all of the data, along with a least-squares-generated second-order polynomial fit, representing time averages for each gender by age. Granted, there's quite a bit of scatter, but Dave thought the result was interesting anyway.
- Runner's Gazette story on the 'unseasonably cold' 2000 Nittany Valley Half-Marathon (by Morgan Wasikons).
- The weather for the Half can be anything from summer-like (1998) to brutally hibernal. See the Winners Summary page for a complete weather history. Troy Klinger, won the 1992 race in 1:16:28, and may at times have thought he was the only person on the course due to white-out conditions. He offers this recollection:
The Nittany Valley Half-Marathon pages were developed by Dave Boger during his tenure as Race Director for the Half. We're happy to carry forward his fine web page design.