Nittany Valley Half-Marathon and historical information for the Nittany Valley Marathon
"You have redefined the meaning of 'somewhat challeging'." ---Jerry Heinz
"It's a very tough course, especially after about mile 7. The last mile is designed to make you see God." ---Marty Mazur
"I was looking for God during the last mile, but I didn't see him. I guess he finished ahead of me too."
--- Albert Mabus, last male finisher at the 2001 NVHM
2015 Race: The 32nd Annual Nittany Valley Half-Marathon will be held on Sunday, December 6, 2015 at 10AM. Registration is available at http://www.imathlete.com/events/NVHM2015.
Packet pickup opens at 8am at the race headquarters, which is inside the Snider Ag Arena at the corner of Park Ave and Fox Hollow/Porter Rds (40°48'56.8"N 77°51'21.1"W) on the PSU campus. The start line is a short walk from the Snider Ag Arena and the finish line is at the Central Pennsylvania Visitor's Bureau on the other side of Park Ave from the Snider Ag Arena. There is ample parking around the Ag Arena, the Visitor's Bureau, or Spikes Stadium further up Porter Rd.
Please note that for the safety of our volunteers and you (the runners) anyone who has not reached mile 11 by 12:30pm (around a 14 minute mile pace) will be transported to the finish line. The course will be closed at 1pm. Please also note that most of the course is open to traffic; therefore, you must follow applicable PA highway laws (please keep to the shoulder, be attentive to other road users, etc.).
As the course is open to traffic (with the exception of Rock Rd - miles 7.5 to 10) spectators can access the majority of the course. However, for the safety of all runners, we encourage spectators to enjoy the multiple-loop beginning of the race and then to walk across Park Ave to the finish line.
Nittany Valley Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Results from previous years:
|Summary of Nittany Valley Half-Marathon Winners||Gallery of Race Shirts|
|Year By Year Results|
- Course Description, Map, and Elevation Profile from the NVRC Maps Pages.
- Men's Event Record: 1984, Bill Reifsnyder, 1:07:07
Men's Present Course Record: 2014, Daniel Craighead, 1:10:53
Women's Event and Course Record: 2011, Rebecca Donaghue, 1:17:25
- A back-of-the-envelope Half-Marathon training program.
- Race Day Helpful Hints For Middle-of-the Pack Half-Marathoners.
- NVHM T-Shirts Through The Years New!
- Time vs. Age Plots from the 1993-1997 Races A few years ago, Dave Boger compiled all of the times, genders, and ages that he had from the 1993-1997 races and graphed them. The graph shows all of the data, along with a least-squares-generated second-order polynomial fit, representing time averages for each gender by age. Granted, there's quite a bit of scatter, but Dave thought the result was interesting anyway.
- Runner's Gazette story on the 'unseasonably cold' 2000 Nittany Valley Half-Marathon (by Morgan Wasikons).
- The weather for the Half can be anything from summer-like (1998) to brutally hibernal. See the Winners Summary page for a complete weather history. Troy Klinger, won the 1992 race in 1:16:28, and may at times have thought he was the only person on the course due to white-out conditions. He offers this recollection:
The Nittany Valley Half-Marathon pages were developed by Dave Boger during his tenure as Race Director for the Half. We're happy to carry forward his fine web page design.