The Arts Festival Races are the oldest races in Central Pennsylvania. The event was first run in 1976 as a 10 Mile race that started out of town and ended on campus in the midst of Arts Festival tables and booths; the run was shortened to a 10K race in the late 1980's. Over the years the course has gone through numerous changes, adding a 10K, a 5K, and Kids Races and sometimes still offering the 10 Miler. In 2019, there will be 5K and 10K races that will be run from the Ag Arena and will have a more rural setting in Penn State agricultural land and wooded bike trails near campus. In 2006, the Arts Festival races were renamed in honor of Sue Crowe, who died in February 2006. Sue was a local running legend who also gave back to the running community through her work coaching young competitors. Sue was a fixture at the Arts Festival races. Sue and her family competed in most of them, and Sue herself was a five time winner. Sue won three times in the early days while the race was a 10-miler and two times after it became a 10K race. The Arts Festival races are run in conjunction with the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts, the region’s premier summer outdoor festival which draws over 125,000 people to downtown State College and the University Park campus. The Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts is five full days of fun, including the nationally recognized Sidewalk Sale Exhibition, a gallery exhibition, Children & Youth Day, the Downtown State College Italian Street Painting Festival, music, dance, and vaudeville performances at eight different outdoor and indoor different venues.
- 5K and 10K Race information: The Sue Crowe Memorial 44th Annual Arts Festival 5K and 10K Races
- will be held on Sunday morning, July 14, 2019. Race day headquarters will be the Ag Arena on Park Avenue just east of Porter Rd.
- Packet Pick-up: Details coming soon.
- Kids Races: The Kids Races will be run on the dirt roads behind the Ag Arena. There will be a quarter-mile and half-mile race. Details are coming soon.
- Courses: In 2019, the Arts Fest debuts a new 5K and a new 10K course. The races will have a more rural setting in Penn State agricultural land and wooded bike trails near campus. Race headquarters will be the Ag Arena on the Penn State campus. Both races start and end on an unnamed gravel road near its intersection with Orchard Road, near the entrance to the Penn State Beef and Sheep Center. This area is to the northeast of the Ag Arena.
- 5K Course Map. Description: The race starts just west of Orchard Rd on an unnamed gravel road that intersects Orchard. Proceed west on the gravel road to another unnamed gravel road, then north to Orchard Road. Turn east on Orchard Road and continue to Wiley Rd. Go north on Wiley, then east on Pastureview. Next, turn north on Farm Services Rd. Proceed through a tunnel under the Mt Nittany Expressway, then east on the Research Park Bike Path to a turnaround, then west on the alternate Innovation Park Bike Path, retracing the route under the Mt Nittany Expressway. Upon reaching Pastureview Road, turn and proceed east on Pastureview Road to Farm Ten Rd, then turn south and proceed to Orchard Rd. Go south on Orchard Road to the unnamed gravel road where the race started, and turn west on that road to the finish.
- 10K Course Map. Description: The race starts just west of Orchard Rd on an unnamed gravel road that intersects Orchard. Proceed west on the gravel road to another unnamed gravel road, then north to Orchard Road. Turn west on Orchard Road to its intersection with Fox Hollow Road (a state highway). Turn north on Fox Hollow, staying in the right-hand (east) bike lane and therefore not crossing Fox Hollow. Upon reaching Big Hollow Road, cross Fox Hollow and proceed west on Big Hollow. The crossing will be monitored by State College Police. Take Big Hollow Road to Alpha Lane, then turn west on Rocky Top Lane and then join the Bellefonte Central Rail Trail. Follow the Rail Trail north a considerable distance to Toftrees Avenue. Just before reaching Toftrees Avenue, turn around and follow the course back to Fox Hollow. Fox Hollow will again be crossed at Big Hollow. The uphill climb on Fox Hollow to Orchard Road will be in the left-hand (east) bike lane. Upon reaching Orchard Road, continue on that paved road as Orchard makes a 90 degree turn to the south. Take Orchard south until reaching the unnamed gravel road that the race started on. Turn west on that gravel road for a short distance to the finish.
(The NVRC would like to collect results and memories from the entire history of
the Arts Fest Race. If you have results from past races, or pictures you'd like to share,
10 Miler Results - Here is a list of Men's and Women's winners for the years 1976-1985 when the Art's Festival race was a 10-Miler. For more reminiscences, see A Race Steeped In Lore... from the July-August 2003 Voices of Central Pennsylvania. The 10 Miler was back from 2013 through 2017 and results for that 10 Miler are also below.
Full results from the earliest races are being collected. Some newspaper stories with partial results are given at the bottom of the page.
Arts Festival 10 Mile Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 10K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 5K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Kids Race Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Race Reports From Some Previous Years: