The Arts Festival Races are the oldest races in Central Pennsylvania. The event was first run in 1976 as a 10 Mile race; the run was shortened to a 10K race in the late 1980's. Over the years the course has gone through numerous changes. In 2005, a 5K race was added and a new 10K course combining the best of the East and West Campuses of Penn State University was designed. In 2013, a new 10 Mile course was added and was run for 5 years. As of 2018, the event is back to a 5K, a 10K, and Kids Races. In 2006, the Arts Festival races were renamed in honor of Sue Crowe, who died in February 2006. Sue was a local running legend who also gave back to the running community through her work coaching young competitors. Sue was a fixture at the Arts Festival races. Sue and her family competed in most of them, and Sue herself was a five time winner. Sue won three times in the early days while the race was a 10-miler and two times after it became a 10K race. The Arts Festival races are run in conjunction with the Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts, the region’s premier summer outdoor festival which draws over 125,000 people to downtown State College and the University Park campus. The Central Pennsylvania Festival of the Arts is five full days of fun, including the nationally recognized Sidewalk Sale Exhibition, a gallery exhibition, Images, Children & Youth Day, the Downtown State College Italian Street Painting Festival, music, dance, and vaudeville performances at eight different outdoor and indoor different venues.
- 5K and 10K Race information: The Sue Crowe Memorial 43nd Annual Arts Festival 5K and 10K Races presented by Penn State Health will be held on Sunday morning, July 15, 2018. Race day headquarters was Medlar Field at Lubrano Park, home of the State College Spikes.
- Race Registration: Mail-in Registration. Online Registration.
- Packet Pick-up: At Medlar Field on race day, and Saturday at the Centre County Convention and Visitors Centre on Park and Porter from 12 noon to 2 PM.
- Kids Races: The Kids Races are runs of 1/4-mile and 1/2-mile for kids ages 12 and under. They are held on the field of the Spikes' ball park. The Kids Races start at 10 AM. The Kids Races are FREE! Medals and popsicles for all participants.
- As usual, the courses have some modifications from previous years due to campus construction. In addition, there will be no 10 Mile race in 2018. Here are the 2018 Arts Festival 5K and 10K Courses.
(The NVRC would like to collect results and memories from the entire history of
the Arts Fest Race. If you have results from past races, or pictures you'd like to share,
10 Miler Results - Here is a list of Men's and Women's winners for the years 1976-1985 when the Art's Festival race was a 10-Miler. For more reminiscences, see A Race Steeped In Lore... from the July-August 2003 Voices of Central Pennsylvania. The 10 Miler was back from 2013 through 2017 and results for that 10 Miler are also below.
Full results from the earliest races are being collected. Some newspaper stories with partial results are given at the bottom of the page.
Arts Festival 10 Mile Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 10K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival 5K Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Kids Race Results From Some Previous Years:
Arts Festival Race Reports From Some Previous Years: